This post may contain affiliate links. See disclosure.
Planning the Perfect Backyard BBQ!
Hey, y’all I’m here with a great roundup of summer favorites to help you plan the perfect backyard BBQ!
You know we take food very seriously in Texas and I’ve got the tastiest treats served up down south. Most of these recipes are my Mama’s (except the instant pot ribs, that’s mine) so you know I think very highly of them.
Tips and Tricks for a Great BBQ
Before we jump into the BBQ recipes I wanted to share a few tips and things to have on hand for making the best of your summer get-togethers.
- Napkins- Have plenty on hand, and also have something to keep them from flying away should the wind disturb your meal
- Vegetables can be easily grilled when wrapped in a foil packet. Just add a little butter, oil or water to prevent them from drying out.
- The key to a great get-together is good food, good friends and a good time! Try playing some upbeat music in the background or add in games like horseshoes or cornhole. Other summer favorites are volleyball, frisbee, hula-hoops, minute-to-win-it, just make it fun!
- Table. Cloth. Clips. Nothing ruins eating outdoors more than a flyaway tablecloth. You can usually find clear plastic ones that fit most tables at the dollar store, or party supply store.
- Likewise, you can often find food tents or covers to help keep those pesky mosquitoes out of the potato salad, at the dollar store.
The Recipes for A Perfect BBQ
Without further ado here are some of the best recipes for barbecue season, served up from the south.
- 1 rack pork ribs
- 1 can Dr. Pepper
- McCormicks smoky BBQ Rub
- 1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce (can substitute your favorite sauce)
Yeah, that’s it, these BBQ Ribs are so simple and easy it’s just 4 ingredients and 35 Per in the instant pot! Take your rack of ribs and rub the front and back with the BBQ Rub. Insert your trivet in the bottom and add the can of Dr. Pepper to the bottom. Coat ribs front and back in BBQ sauce and roll into a ring, place in instant pot. Set manually for 35 minutes. Carefully release steam and when it is safe, place ribs in a 450-degree oven for 5 minutes with another brush of BBQ sauce. *Note* Use tongs to remove ribs from instant pot and grab the meat and not bones as the bones will slide out. These are so tender and delicious, they can’t be served on the bone.
Perfectly Seasoned Steaks
- 1 lb. Steak of your choice
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- 1/4 Cup Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Gallon Zip Lock Bag
This is another super easy meal, just throw your steak in the ziplock bag, add the other ingredients and knead well, let marinate for 30 minutes before cooking. No steak sauce needed, a perfect well-flavored steak. Adjust recipe to the weight of your steaks, can be halved or doubled easily.
- 6 medium potatoes, cut and boiled
- 4 eggs, boiled
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dill Relish ( NOT SWEET RELISH)
- 3/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Mustard
- Pimentos (optional for color)
Boil chopped potatoes and eggs until potatoes are very tender, drain. Peel and chop eggs, add all ingredients and stir thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate before serving.
- 4 Cups raw broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 Red onion, chopped
- 2 C. Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Pkg Real Bacon Bits
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 Cup Miracle Whip
- 1/4 Cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
Mix in a large bowl Broccoli, cheese and bacon bits. I use the Oscar Meyer Real Bacon bits but you could use your own bacon and crumble it. In a smaller bowl mix the Mayo, miracle whip vinegar and sugar, pour over Broccoli and mix thoroughly. Serve cold. This is like crack if you’re a broccoli person, I just can’t stop eating it and it’s a favorite at
every BBQ I bring it to.
Grilled Summer Squash
- 4 Cups squash, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
This easy squash is great for summertime when we get all our yummy veggies fresh! To Grill, make a foil packet and place 1 cup of squash/onion mix, 2 tsp butter and salt and pepper to taste. Other great flavors you can try are garlic, lemon pepper, and cayenne. This method works for just about any veggie you want to steam on the grill. You can also substitute butter for olive oil, but we love butter around here.
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Lg Can Peaches, drained
- 2/3 Cup Milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix in a medium mixing bowl flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk. Melt butter in baking pan then pour over mixture in the bowl but DO NOT MIX. Arrange peaches in the baking dish, and drizzle mixture over the peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm accompanied by vanilla ice cream. You can substitute a can of fruit pie filling or fresh sliced fruit for a twist. Apple season? Try a tasty apple cobbler! Strawberries on sale? Throw them into a cobbler! You can also make your own pie filling by reducing your fruit with 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar, simmering over low heat stirring often.
- 1 Container Cool Whip
- 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8oz Pkg. Cream Cheese
- 1 Lg Pkg Vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- Bananas, sliced
- Vanilla Wafers
In a large mixing bowl combine 1/2 container of cool whip, condensed milk, cream cheese, pudding mix, and milk. Beat on high for 5 minutes until mixture is completely smooth. Top with sliced bananas, remaining cool whip and wafers. This is the best banana pudding in the world, just ask anybody who has eaten this made by my mama. We begin fighting over this a week before the event if we know there will be banana pudding.
Blushing Betty Cocktail
- 1 Oz Pink Grapefruit Juice
- 2 Oz Bourbon
- 1/2 Oz simple syrup
Shake well with ice and serve on the rocks, this light cocktail is perfect for a warm night by the grill. It’s refreshing and stout.
Warmer weather really seems to bring people together outdoors with food, from backyard barbecues to picnics in the park, dining alfresco is the way we know spring has sprung and hot, hot weather is near. If you enjoy spending quality time with your friends and family, you’ll enjoy this post about the Hygge lifestyle and celebrate togetherness and experiences.